Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Day on the Farm

Long Island is a bit like a cross-section of the country (often with an over-the-top accent) but one of the nice parts of living here is that in 20 minutes you can be in a city, a beach, a park, or a farm. Yesterday I spent the morning out on the Suffolk County Farm documenting the 4H fair and getting to know farm life more intimately. They had a large range of animals everything from the traditional cows and pigs to llamas and peacocks. I thought that it was a bit of a harsh reality to see little kids playing with the animals then later walking past the "meat processing center" with a painting of happy cows and pigs on it. Isn't that like putting a crematorium in an old folks home? Anyway the experience was fun and I would've never known that I was only ten minutes away from my house because it felt like authentic Kansas with huge fields of corn surrounding the farm. As I was headed out a massive storm rolled over my head so I made a quick exit before the hail started.

No comments: